Sunday, September 25, 2011


Photo of Eiko and Koma dancing

I have not posted for a while. I am searching for a deeper level of content in my work, though I am not sure I can do it. I saw Eiko and Koma "dancing" at Skirball and I am amazed how they can convey strong emotion, artistic design, vulnerability and power. I would like to say the power is in their movement, which I cannot capture in a painting, but there is some of it in their still photos. You can see others at eikoandkoma.org.

Eiko (top) and Peace in Grain - Photo by David Fullard
Photo by David Fullard

They move very slowly, which gives you time to savor and fills me with expectancy about where they're going next, like watching a spring compress. Sometimes they feel like monks roaming the earth, or ghostly souls. At Skirball they moved through a foot of water in the very large lily pond, in the dark, with scant lighting refecting from water onto the wall behind, and a recording of crickets. Oh, I wish my painting could be so enveloping and a complete environment!




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful poses... The photographer used light wonderfully, don't you think??

    ReplyDelete