Sunday, August 14, 2011

Full moon paintings

A few months ago I was inspired by David Gallup's comment that painting nocturnes helped his visual memory, because after looking at the color on his palette or in the scene he'd have to wait while eyes adjusted in order to mix a desired color. So I went hiking the last 3 full moons, looking for a spot and finding out where exactly the moon arises. I've learned a little about astonomy but so far the art project is even harder than I expected. For one thing, I had been searching for interesting tree and hill shapes, but when I went back to look at David's nocturnes (dgallup.com) I realized the interest is often in water reflections, clouds or an orange sky rather than the moon itself. No wonder I was struggling to make it interesting. So now I'm picturing a more magical lunar mood, not photographic, something shadowy and implying a lot you don't see for sure. I've come up with two ideas: outlines of hikers in the moonlight, and outlines of young dancers (that I photographed at the Y) superimposed on the silhouettes of trees. I'm a long ways from showing any results, but here's a long line of hikers from last night's hike in Thousand Oaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment