Monday, August 8, 2011

Trash goddess

Here's a poster I created about 9 months ago out of some of the trash I collected from the Limekiln creek, south of the 118 and just west of Tampa. I think a lot of it blows out of cars on the 118. When I first saw the plastic hanging from bushes like Christmas tinsel, I was just sad and mad. But I decided to do just what I could about it. Sometimes it would feel like kids searching for Easter eggs; as I looked around the creekbed I'd excitely spot another one! If the rest of my day was frustrating, at least I knew I'd done one purely good thing for the day. Over a year I estimate I collected about 3-4 trash cans full, 2 bags at a time, and the creek definitely looks more loved and unblemished. Now I go less often, in maintenance mode. BTW my art poster only lasted a couple days, I think the water and power company that owns the land and empties the (little used) trash can took it down, but maybe it was taken by a fellow art appreciator!

No comments:

Post a Comment