Saturday, August 6, 2011

Painting at the Carpinteria Arts Center

Yesterday I took some painting for sale and my French easel up to Carpinteria and painted in front of their Arts Center along with a few other painters and jewelers for First Friday. Gradually after painting "plein aire" for the last few years I have become accustomed to the public interaction and come to enjoy it. Kids and well wishers say "that's beeauutifullll" and I get to find words for what I'm trying to do and ask if they do anything in the arts. It's not a concentrated time to paint, but I like feeling people do care about painting and I am part of the community and less isolated.
Young Musician 8x10 oil on board

Two mothers asked some details about possibly painting portraits of their kids after they saw this painting, which motivates me to go take the photos of the little ballerinas I watch at the Y. They melt your heart. I've heard people say how hard it is to paint kids in a non-cute way---not sure what that means actually. I've decide cute is ok. This painting was from a photo taken at the Fiddle Fest a couple months ago at Paramount Ranch, and the young man was watching the musicians closely and getting motivated with his ukulele.
Beach Camping 9x12 oil on canvas
The painting from the Carpinteria campground done last summer also received many positive comments. Tents and beach towels are soooo Carpinteria. In junior high I camped there with the Camp Fire Girls and it was so much fun that I just have to walk through the campground now, or hear the train go by, to feel all warm and fuzzy. Even the mayor-elect
came by and said she liked it. I should have grabbed a photo with her and sent it into the Carp newspaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment